I’m not sure how many of you, exactly, have searched for a beginner’s guide specifically…
But every month, there are 1,900 searches on Google for the topic ‘Celtic Paganism’, which in broad terms also covers the main theme of this blog, Irish Paganism (which gets 390 searches itself).
So, 390 of you lovely people each month – plus at least a portion of those 1,900 who search for Celtic Paganism, I’m sure – are looking for information on Irish Paganism?
And, with a few notable exceptions, what you’re finding is shite.
The majority of what has been available (prior to the Irish Pagan School online courses!) has been poorly researched and unreliable misunderstandings from outside the culture at best, and at worst – full on cashing-in cultural appropriation.
I’d like to help change that for you.
The Beginner’s Guide to Irish Paganism
Here is a blog series (a free course, really), that will set you up right, with your own authentic connection to Irish Paganism.
By the end of this series, you’ll be able to…
- Tell authentic/good resources from appropriative/bad bullshit.
- Understand the essential elements of Irish Paganism.
- Create a daily connection practice that suits your lifestyle.
- Access quality resources for going further with an Irish Pagan Practice.
Your Guide To Irish Paganism
Who is teaching the Beginner’s Guide?
Lora is an Author, Teacher, and Guide: native born Irish, with 20+ years personal and professional experience in our history, heritage, archaeology, mythology, and pre-christian Irish Spirituality. Publications include – Irish Witchcraft from an Irish Witch, 2004; A Practical Guide to Irish Spirituality, 2013; Rathcroghan – a Journey, 2015; Tales of Old Ireland – Retold, 2018; and Pagan Priesthood, Llewellyn 2019.
She is a modern Draoí – a practitioner and priest of indigenous Irish magic and spirituality. Lora has been consciously following a Pagan path since 1994, and dedicated specifically to the Irish Goddess Mórrígan in 2004. She managed one of Ireland’s most important sacred sites – Cruachán/Rathcroghan – for a decade, and is a co-founder and Reverend legal celebrant with Pagan Life Rites Ireland.
With her partner, Jon O’Sullivan (An Scéalaí Beag), she runs EelAndOtter.net, and the IrishPaganSchool.com – an online learning environment where you can connect to the heritage, culture and spirituality of Pagan Ireland in an authentic and meaningful way, every day.
The Beginner’s Guide Basics
Below is the Script and Audio for my ‘Into Darkness’ Guided Meditation, which is completely free and ready to download with no email input etc. required.
This will only take you a few minutes to do, and can form a basis for future Guided Journeys Practice in Irish Paganism. It will also improve your Centering, Grounding, and Focus skills.
This guided meditation exercise is an excellent introduction to meditation techniques generally, and to the type of Guided Journeys we practice in my tradition of Irish Paganism specifically.
HOW TO USE THIS GUIDED MEDITATION
- Sit or lie down comfortably. You won’t need any special meditation chair or cushion, or any limb straining positions – seriously, just get comfortable in whatever way is best for you.
- Close your eyes.
- You don’t have to control your breath, just breathe naturally and begin to follow the audio of our guided meditation above.
- Simply focus your attention on the sound of my voice as the audio plays through.
- If your mind wanders, don’t worry about it – that is normal! Just return your focus back to your breath and the sound of my voice each time it happens.
BONUS – TOTAL BEGINNER RESOURCE:
If you’re absolutely new to ANY of this, and not even sure if Paganism is for you – let alone Irish Paganism… don’t worry!
For a true and complete Beginner’s Guide…
What’s Next for the Beginner’s Guide?
This is a Short Course Series created for the blog here at LoraOBrien.ie, so of course there are more posts to follow this one.
You will find the following coming soon in this series:
- THE SOURCE MATERIALS – Books, Videos, Online Resources, Irish Language and Culture.
- THE ELEMENTS OF IRISH PAGANISM – What Irish Pagans Do, Sacred Places, Seasons and Cycles, Journeys in the Otherworld, Ancestors, Irish Gods and Goddesses, The Good Neighbours.
- YOUR DAILY CONNECTION PRACTICE – Setting up an Altar, Marking the Calendar, Visiting the Sites, Guided Journeys, Pagan Prayers.
- NEXT STEPS ON YOUR PATH – Join a Moot, Start a Study/Working Group, Learn from a Mentor/Priest/Draoi, Further Resources.
Make sure you join our Tuath (Community) Mailing List below so you don’t miss out on the next part of the Beginner’s Guide series with Lora O’Brien!